I came across this resource for teens and I had to share it with you.
Their mission statement lines up really well with the things that I am passionate about. In fact, recently I was thinking about creating a text-message based service to inspire and motivate young people. It turns out I was not the first one to come up with the idea! I’ll tell you more about that in a minute.
Really quick, here is the run down of whatReachOut provides through their website (which looks awesome on mobile devices as well).
- The Facts provides information on a range of mental health issues
- Real Stories shares personal experiences with mental health issues from teens and young adults and how they got through these issues
- Forums provide a safe space to connect with peers for immediate support and information free of judgment
- ReachOut TXT offers peer support and information via text message from trained teen and young adult volunteers.
- Get Help provides information about how you might find the help you need
Secondly, they offerReachOut TXT, which provides direct peer support and information over text messages. There are certain days and times where teens can get responses from professionally trained and supervised peer volunteers. This is important, because it is supportive and safe. All of these services are free, which is awesome.
I am completely sold on the concept of supporting young people through the adolescent years using all of the technology that is available. It makes help accessible, taking away certain barriers that exist with school or private counseling and other avenues of support.
I encourage you to visit theReachOut website and share it with some friends, family or a young person you know. They also have lots of opportunities to volunteer and really easy ways to get involved. Our young people need us more than ever to be engaged in their lives. There is your call to action! 🙂